Saturday, May 24, 2014

Introduction to Hospitality: Lodging

Well this is my first day off after a week of 8-4 training, and man am I enjoying it. I woke up this morning, ate breakfast with Kimmy (one of my roommates) and then spent the afternoon in The Magic Kingdom. It is pretty crowded today since it's Memorial Day Weekend and it's super hot so we didn't stay too long. Just long enough to ride the new mine train rides that opens next week! Make sure you get your fast passes now for that ride, because it is great! It's like a combination of a story ride and a roller coaster. It was a short ride, but I really loved it!

Now I'll get to what many of you have been asking about, my first week of training.

Since I am hospitality/front desk at a resort, I think I have one of the longest training schedules for a CP role. While all of my other roommates have spent this week completing their on the job trainings, I have been doing the first half of my training in class at Disney University all week. Monday I actually had an intro to Art of Animation at the casting center near the resort. So I was in a room with all new AoA CPs and we toured our resort and learned some cool, fun facts about the resort. It is Disney's newest value resort, and I would argue to say it is the best value resort. There are four sections of it: Cars, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and Finding Nemo. Each section is themed to the movie. The second you walk into a new section, you know. It is crazy all the details that go in to the decorating and architecture. When you first enter the resort to check in you are in the Hall of Animation, which features huge pictures of some of the early, never released sketches of characters from the four movies. It is really cool because it starts in black and white and you can see what some of your favorite characters were originally sketched to look like. Some of the character sketches are completely different from the final product. As you continue walking, they slowly begin to look like the characters we know and love and eventually they are in color. A director from each movie has come to the resort and signed some of the sketches we feature, and even Jodie Foster (the voice of Ariel) came to the resort and signed a sketch of Ariel.

From Tuesday through Friday I was at Disney University all day with the same class and facilitators being trained on the lodging computer system called Lilo. They really did a great job for preparing us for many different types of check ins that we will encounter. We would usually run through a scenario with the facilitator on our computers and then we would enter a lab that is set up like a typical resort front desk and we would role play being a guest and a front desk cashier. It was pretty challenging. Wednesday and Thursday, the girls I car pooled with and I left feeling very tired and frustrated. It is just so much information to remember and it is nerve wreaking because we play such a big part in the guests vacation planning, so it feels like there is little room for error. Yesterday, our last day, we had a final lab that was sort of like a comprehensive final. All of us actually left class that day feeling pretty good and confident that we have learned a lot. So at least we left feeling encouraged. Although it was sad to say goodbye to our class since most of us are all going to different resorts, and it was sad to say goodbye to our facilitators because they were really great. They were so approachable, knowledgable and nice. We all really appreciated their teaching style so much.

Tomorrow is my first day of on the job training, and I can't describe to you how nervous I am. Kimmy and I stopped at Art of Animation for lunch today so I could see how long it takes to drive there. The check in line at the front desk was so busy!!! I just really hope my on site trainer is as great as my facilitators were during University training. I will be working from 6:15am-2:45pm. My whole week this next week starts around 6am. I am not looking forward to waking up super early, but I am glad to get off of worker early instead of working late into the night/morning. I am also excited for tomorrow because my aunt and uncle will be here! So I will meet them at Magic Kingdom after work! It will be a long day, but I am excited to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment