Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Black beans for lunch and leftover pizza for dinner

Thanks to my two weeks of morning shifts, it looks like my body has adjusted to waking up at 7am. Today, however, I don't go to work until 2pm, but my body was eager to arise to a beautiful, rainy and early morning regardless. I don't really mind though. I have always appreciated the quiet of the morning. As you may have heard, Netflix released Gilmore Girls. I, being the 90s child I am, have been on a quest to finally join the ranks of my friends and know what exactly bonds the infamous mother-daughter duo together. So far it's good. I watched two episodes this morning as I pumped myself full of Robitussin, Emergen-C and nose spray.

The rest of my morning has been spent looking up graduate school options and jobs. We are about halfway through October. I need to know what I am doing once my internship at Disney ends. As of now, staying with Disney may be hard. It is looking like my only option will be to work for the company part-time for two months before hopefully working full time. I just don't know if I can afford to work part-time and pay rent, bills and student loans. The sad thing is, I really do like my job, and the people I work with. The culture at Disney is one I enjoy very much and it will probably be hard to let go of it. Although, on the bright side, it won't be hard to let go of the pay.

I started wondering about grad school a few weeks ago. It seems like most older adults wish they would've went back to school sooner rather than later, which makes sense. I mean, I know how to do school. I know how to manage my time, take notes, study and do homework. The longer I wait to go back the more of these skills I could possibly forget. The question is, what program? I've thought about a few. English education, communication, counseling and nutrition. Counseling is on its way out. I would love to learn more of the psychology field. I am so interested in it, but it would be a lot of school and money, and it scares me to look for a job in that field. English education has looked more appealing to me lately. I loved english in school. The thought of being a high school english teacher doesn't bore me. Of course, I wish I would've thought of this like three years earlier, but I didn't so I shouldn't dwell on that fact. Then there is the obvious communication masters. While I feel like I did well with this degree in my undergrad, I still don't know what to do with it. I worked a little bit doing freelance and other journalism things, which I am qualified for, but I don't think I want that for my life. Nutrition just popped up because I love to learn more ways to be healthy, so that could be interesting. I know, I'm all over the place.

While grad school sounds like it could be a smart thing in the long run, I don't have time or money to study and take the GRE, and applying to grad school alone costs money. So while I would like to have a masters someday, realistically that may have to wait. Hopefully only 2 or 3 years max before I am able to go back. So here I am, back on the job search. What I love about my job now is being a problem fixer. Guests come to the desk, sometimes way too upset about little things, but regardless I am there for them. I love that. Through working at my resort I have learned how to really work with a team and as a team, patience, and problem solving skills. It has helped me to realize that I shouldn't just look for a job that has a great pay check (even though that is a MAJOR plus), but I should always look for a job that helps me to learn new things and experience new people.

So anyways, if you have heard of any job anywhere that you think I would be great at, send me the info PLEASE! I refuse to be an unemployed college grad... and I would really love to not have to wait tables as a graduate either. :)

Hope everyone is having a lovely week and is getting a dose of fall time! Soak up the 50 degree weather for me. I miss it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment